Venison Greek Meatball Gyros
- Venison Greek Meatballs (Recipe below)
- Shredded iceberg lettuce for topping
- 8 loaves Greek pita bread
Quick cucumber and tomato salad
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped curly parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the meatballs per the recipe link below
Make the tzatziki
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, red onion, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Warm each pita bread in the oven or in the microwave.
Assemble the gyro: lay each pita bread flat, and add some shredded lettuce, 4 meatballs (halved if you prefer), some cucumber and tomato salad, feta cheese, and drizzle with tzatziki sauce. Fold together, and serve. You can wrap it with foil or hold it together with a toothpick to make it easy to serve.
Venison Greek Meatballs Recipe
- ground venison
- finely diced onion
- minced garlic
- panko bread crumbs
- chopped fresh parsley
- crumbled feta cheese
- egg (binder)
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
- lemon zest
- salt and pepper
How to Make Greek Meatballs
Making these meatballs is really easy! All you have to do is combine the ingredients in a large bowl until fully incorporated, shape into 1 to 1 ¼ inch balls, and cook them! So let’s get started.
- In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients and mix with your hands until fully incorporated. Do not overmix though. Overmixing will lead to tough meatballs.
- Form the meatballs, each about 1 tablespoon or about 1 to 1 ¼ inches. If you make them too big, they will brown (and probably burn) faster than they are fully cooked inside. Makes about 30-32 meatballs.
- In a large skillet (or 2 skillets) on medium heat, cook the meatballs on all sides until browned and fully cooked inside, about 15 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan. If they are browning too quick, lower heat to medium-low. Tip: half cover the skillet with a lid to ensure quicker and thorough cooking in the center.